8 Ways to Make Bathrooms Safer for Seniors
In honor of National Bath Safety Month, we’re taking a deeper look at how to keep seniors safe in the bathroom. Bathroom safety is a serious concern for elderly Americans. In fact, according to the National Council on Aging:
- One-fourth of older Americans fall each year.
- Every 19 minutes, a senior dies from a fall.
- Every 11 seconds, an older adult is sent to the emergency room for a fall-related injury.
That’s why Uplifting Mobility compiled these eight bathroom safety tips for seniors.
8 Bathroom Safety Tips for Seniors
- Install grab bars
- Invest in a good shower chair
- Install a walk-in tub
- Place non-slip mats in the bathroom
- Install a raised toilet seat
- Put essential items within easy reach
- Make lighting and door changes
- Use a bath lift