The Best Ways to Boost Your Immune System, Even If You’re Immunocompromised
Immune systems work to recognize and fight off harmful bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites to keep illnesses away. For those with a compromised immune system, exposure to infectious organisms that are not normally dangerous has the potential to cause serious illnesses. This is because a compromised immune system means that your body has a diminished level of immunity for invading organisms.
It’s extremely important to learn how to avoid infections and keep your immune system as healthy as possible. In a recent article, VeryWellHealth discusses a variety of ways to boost your immune system, even if you’re immunocompromised, including:
- Eat a diet high in fruits, vegetables and lean protein to receive enough nutrients. For those who are immunocompromised, all vegetables and fish should be properly cooked to avoid any infectious agents
- Don’t smoke. Smoking interferes with the immune function of your respiratory system
- Properly manage stress. Excess stress can raise sympathetic hormone function, which directly reduces immune function
- Make sure to get enough sleep at night to maintain healthy homeostasis
- Unless necessary, immunocompromised individuals should avoid germ-ridden places, like daycares, hospitals and nursing homes
To maintain a strong immune system, it’s important to adopt healthy habits that promote immune protection. Be sure to always take the proper steps to protect yourself and those around you, especially if you or a loved one has a compromised immune system.