6 Survival Tips for Moving Your Elderly Loved One
Moving your a senior loved one from their home can be a challenging process. You want to ensure a smooth transition that tends to their health, finances, logistics and, of course, comfort and peace of mind.
These six elderly moving tips from A Place For Mom can make it easier:
- Communication: It can be a tough conversation to have, but give them time to grieve the change and talk about where they are moving.
- Effective planning: Before sorting and organizing your loved one’s stuff, it will help to have a visual of what they’re getting into.
- Help from relatives: Not only will it help the workload, but enlisting your family will provide your senior parents with additional support and encouragement.
- Organization: These moves usually involve downsizing, but it’s okay to save the little things that hold memories. It helps to categorize objects as you go through them.
- Cleaning: After moving the items out of the house, it’ll need to me cleaned. It’s better to take care of maintenance issues all at once, rather than later when you’re selling the house.
- A game plan: A smooth moving plan often requires professional help.