8 Expert Tips for When Aging Parents Won’t Listen
Struggling getting your aging parents to listen? You’re not alone.
According to the New Jersey Institute for Successful Aging and the Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine out of Penn State University, 77 percent of adult children believe their parents are stubborn about taking their advice or getting help with daily problems.
Some adult children are finding that their parents don’t always know best when it comes to their diet, driving, housing, medication and more. To help you learn more about what to do when your aging parents aren’t listening to you, A Place For Mom broken down eight expert tips.
What to Do If Your Aging Parents Won’t Listen
- Accept the situation.
- Blame it on the kids (or the grandkids).
- Decide how important the matter is.
- Don’t beat yourself up.
- Find an outside outlet for your feelings.
- Think ahead for milestones.
- Treat them like the adults they are.
- Try to understand the motivation behind their behavior.